Journey to Freedom... Are we there yet?

After watching a few slavery based movies. I can't help but reflect on how life has changed since that dreadful period of time and send God a thanks that this is so. I look at my wonderful husband, and my two lovely children both of African descent and I also send a thanks to God for my brave ancestors and feel my heart swell with pride at the things they faced and defeated.

There identities wiped away, their dignity removed and their bodies used as a tool for what I suspect was misdirected anger. Wow what a life they faced and what horrors they had to bore and bear them silently. No one to hear their cries and no who cared even if they did. Where it was every man out for himself. 
Thankfully I have long since dealt with the anger and bitterness that I first encountered when reading about black history, especially slavery. Now I am able to watch movies and TV shows, read books and only be astounded by the nature of the time. 
As I watched my husband pushing our new baby and feeling our sense of belonging, our sense of acceptance. We can walk down the street without fear of repercussions. Our children can attend school freely and be educated to any degree they wish. We can marry, and live alongside others.
We have access to justice that defends all of us and we have rights that protect us.  What a time we live in and isn't it time for us to celebrate and be glad.
The journey to freedom was well fought and travelled. There will be many potholes of failures on the way. We still have some distance to go with racism still present and creeping back into the mainstream. I can say that no we are not there yet, and who knows if we will ever be.  I hope people will soon realise the cost to humanity that racism caused. 
How many lives ruined, changed and altered.? People still crying to people of different nationalities to repatriate. However how fair is it to send someone. Away from the only place they have called home. Where roots have been planted and generations begun. How dare you tell me to go home,
Where should my home be? I'm proud of my heritage and maybe for my development it will be good to discover my roots and all it offers but don't talk about sending people back to their own country. 
Most of us haven't even lived in them. Before you blame new cultures for taking over your old one.
 Times change and people evolve. It has always been this way. 
Please don't say you want me to go home as I sure you will miss all the things people brought with them if you do. Name 1 import you couldn't live without.

  1. what will it take for us to live n peace? God created us equal let's see what happen when we do as he suggests. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are we tired yet? nothing is changing... returning to our roots ..if we can find them

How I Got Into Reading..And Additional Posts About My Current Reading Books/Styles

Fear for the silent victims in the long standing police brutality tale