My Venture Into A Dark Place...Books I Read

I was able to use a few good books, which were big and heavy, as my first introduction to slavery, and it was a most arduous journey. I can’t remember the title so I won’t be able to put a picture up. I am writing this blog 12 yrs. later, and some of the books I used I can’t remember very well.
However my first venture into black history was through a rather unsettling trip through slavery, from its beginnings in the 1400’s to its slow end in 1857. It would be a while later, before I discovered our long fight for freedom, and equal rights. The cost to many of our people and the gratitude I must hold for them is immeasurable. During this time of discovery I was in my early teens, and this information only sought to get me angry, disillusioned and torn between the past and the present.
I lost my faith briefly, trying to understand the purpose of these events, and if I am also black, was I meant to suffer this way also. It has since become apparent that GOD may have saved me from these ordeals so I would have the compassion to make sure our people are never forgotten.
The only thing that I can fault at the beginnings of my journey is the lack of resources and support for young black people like me, who have the unfortunate task of discovering the truth about slavery and the cruel misfortunes of black people. It is not taught in schools, it wasn’t highlighted when I was younger. It seems to be an embarrassment for people, and they prefer we never know what the dark side of England/ America looks like. However with the help of books, TV and films we can find out.
We must consciously aim to never forget our ancestor's fight for freedom, as that is why we are able to stand as we are, and do the things we want now.


I just have to let it be known that when I think of all the people who suffered in slavery and through the civil rights movement, never knowing how successful or how close they came to saving us, this new generation from a life of destitution, cruelty, injustice and fear. I can only stand in awe and admiration for the sacrifices they had to make for us, and what a shame it is they never saw the fruits of their labour. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fear for the silent victims in the long standing police brutality tale

Are we tired yet? nothing is changing... returning to our roots ..if we can find them

Fetishising the black body, BBC, BBB and other roles we play in them - some adult themes